DIY Repurpose Old Shelf or Wood Piece for under $5

4:14 PM Jessica 0 Comments




On Pinterest I see tons of people who create amazing do it yourself crafts using old furniture or wood to paint unique pieces for their home.  I decided I would start small (in case mine didn't look HGTV worthy) and create my own wall art.  I used a shelf from old furniture my neighbors were throwing away but you could use a piece of wood and get the same result.  I was very impressed with the results!  It turned out very cute, it was easy, fast, and budget friendly.  It could even be a project for kids to help you with.



Step 1:
Gather Supplies


  • Old shelf or wood piece
  • Painters tape
  • Paint.  I used 2 colors of spray paint but you can do whichever your creative mind desires.
Step 2:
 Put tape in stripes across board.  I don't have a picture of what I did but it is all up to your creativity.   This is the step your kids can even help you with!

Step 3: 
Paint.  If painting one color just cover the whole board and using spray paint to make a simple art project.  If using 2 colors of spray paint its a little more challenging but it can be done! (Even my no experience husband and I did it). 

**My problem when doing this step I tried to get too close so it would not enter any other lines which caused dripping.  For next time I think I will create thicker stripes of tapes to make fix this problem or I might just use acrylic paint instead.

Step 4:
Let it dry overnight.  I might have waited too long but I wanted to make sure all the paint was dry before peeling off the tape so I wouldn't mess it up.

Step 5:
Peel off tape


The End Result
It just got done this morning so I haven't hung it on the wall yet but I would have to say it turned out very good. I'll post an updated picture once it is hung up.

Tips to Save Money on this Project:
1. Use pieces you already have around the house. (I'm always surprised how much junk.. great supplies I have around the house).
2. Use paint you already have.  I have tons of spray paint from previous projects maybe you do too!  If you don't have paint supplies on hand, look at your local craft stores or Walmart.  I get lots of my supplies from Hobby Lobby because I am able to use their 40% coupon anywhere and anything that isn't already on sale.

I would love to hear from any comments, suggestions or expertise you have! 
Don't forget to follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Twitter to get the latest posts.


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

0 comments: